Skip to main content

A Little Boy No More

A couple months ago my son had his 7th birthday. I say that and I still have trouble saying it. Seven years old. That's MORE than half way to a decade of life. This is coming from a woman that looks 20 and feels 14 sometimes (and vice versa). My kid is seven! It takes a lot to faze me but this fazes me. This stops me in my emotional brain tracks and I think, “where the fuck did the time go?” and immediately to “is any damage permanent at this point?” cus lord knows I am not perfect! I’ve been winging it and my little baby is now a man in training. A little man.

I still remember his chubby face and hands holding my face like he knew I needed it. Holding my hand to guide me more than me guide him. A little boy in love with his mama. But now, he’s not a little boy. I can’t look at him anymore and think of my little boy. His legs are lanky and long, ankles thin from all the stretching. His face has no chub and he composes himself with the hilarity and annoyances of a wobbly small adult.

Don’t get me wrong this boy still loves to hug his mama and blows me kisses when I drop him off at school but he is quickly coming into his own. Or maybe it hasn’t been quick. Actually, he’s been preparing for this his whole life! And I’m caught at the point of no return. That baby boy with his deep ocean of ignorant love for me is now a little man with prerogatives and opinions, calling me out on my shit and giving suggestions for how to schedule my day. He sees my flaws now more clearly and lets me know “um mama, I asked for water 5 times – now that’s six”. Which naturally has caused our relationship to evolve. For better or worst.

One morning the sound of my own voice started sounding like nails on a chalkboard.

“Eat your food, please”

“Don’t do that”

“Eat your food”

“Stop that, please. Its annoying”

“Eat your food”

“Can you stop that?”

“Put your plate away please”

“Put your shoes on”

“Don’t say that, its rude”

“What did I say? PUT YOUR SHOES ON”

“Did you brush your teeth?”

For any parent this sounds like a normal morning, but this morning I was over it. I hated the sound of my voice constantly correcting him and telling him he was wrong. So I sat him down:

“Alright, listen. You are 7 years old. You are getting older every day and you are seriously amazing me. You work hard at school. You learn all this stuff and you can move like a ninja. You’re talented.

“Thanks mama”

“You’re welcome, but I know sometimes all it sounds like is that I’m constantly telling you you’re wrong and I’m right… does that sound about right or no?”

“Yeah you yell at me a lot”

Ugh I hate it when he says I yell, “mkay. So with that, I need to be upfront with you. You’ve grown A LOT, but you’re still growing. Okay? I know I can be annoying but it’s my job. Just like it’s your job to learn and grow and exercise that brain and body of yours, its mine to keep you in line. If you’re being rude, I have to tell you. If you’re creating a mess, I have to tell you to fix it. But if I don’t tell you, you’re not going to know and then you might get out there [I point outside] and not mean to, but hurt someone’s feelings or offend someone. Okay?”

Staring at me “okay”

“It’s the basic stuff but you’ve got all the hard stuff down, like being a great person with a big heart. I can’t teach that, you already are that. K baby? I’m just helping you show on the outside what you are on the inside. Sound good?”

“Yeah. Thanks… can I play handball against the wall now”

“No.”

“…. Okay”

“Please put your shoes on”

“Fine”, he says getting up, “but no more yelling”. I laugh out loud, “Then listen to me the first time!”. He runs off and yells “No promises!”. I smile shaking my head.

The fact that our relationship has grown only shows that he’s not the only one that has changed. I have grown too. I am not the same person I was when my kid was born. Every day he has challenged me in ways no one else could. Which means that in a way, if I don’t let him go and grow into his own, it will stunt my own growth. Out of security I want to keep my baby boy, my baby boy. But the truth is, my baby boy is gone and in his place is a little man. Like every relationship, its progression is the immediate reflection of a living breathing thing. Keep it from growing and you’ll have a stagnant dying one. The relationship exists not in its past form but a new every day. Which is why I have to be willing to go there with him.

I can’t keep him from growing up. He is all his own. I am just there to make sure he understands the rules of the world (don’t be a dick) and that my love is unconditional (but mama don’t take shit). With that I hope he learns to live without fear and grow confidently in his own skin.  Because with or without me this rocket is taking off to the moon.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Love Is Not Enough

“Do you promise to have and to hold, in good times and in bad?” There is not a single dry eye in the audience. Including my brother, the groom. We’re outside on what couldn’t have been a more perfect day on the cliff where a luxury hotel sits. The wedding is small and simple but nonetheless a beautiful one. Like the bride. It doesn’t take much to make her stunning and stunning she is. As she walks down the grassy aisle, my brother lays eyes on her and does something I’ve never seen him do. He’s crying. Not hard, but enough that I relish in the moment of probably the only time I’ll ever see my big bro’s ugly cry face. I’m crying too, like a baby. I saw her earlier in her hotel room to get the rings for my son, the ring bearer. I’m instantly turning my head. Laying eyes on her meant ruining my makeup too early. She gestures with her hand to stop like it’s seriously no big deal she’s radiant. Then gets right to business. “Okay did your brother tell you the concession order?” I sh

Of God, Gods and None

Driving home from Kindergarten last year, my kid said something that almost made me pull my car over. “Mama – did you know that God made all the things?” I was shocked and responded carefully, I recognized that I was reacting out of fear and needed to check my shit at the door. “Who told you that, honey?” Before I start I need to explain that, thankfully, I wasn’t traumatized by religion growing up. I grew up in a typical Roman Catholic house; we went to church every Sunday, celebrated Easter, midnight mass on Christmas Eve and prayed during Thanksgiving dinner and sometimes-regular dinner. It wasn’t so much about what I believed so much as it was rituals we acted out that my parents were really into. My mom grew up with Franco the dictator during Spain’s post civil war, a man very fond of Opus Dei. My father also grew up with very strong religious influences as a Latino. With that being said, surprisingly my parents gave us kids a lot of liberty to grow into our own. For exam

Learning to Trust Through Love

I came across a post from the BookFace group "Mothers Need to Vent". First of all I love this group because its a great way for moms to just let it all out without being judged. A mom had realized that her tendency to be a fearful mom was putting her in a place with a lot of doubt. When her kid asked her if they could sleep over at a friend's, her fear of their innocence being compromised took over and she would reject their request. She was afraid they would be up against peer pressure to do something wrong and the fear that she wouldn't be there for them. This was my response: I'll tell you what I tell my kid because lord knows I am not a saint; just because someone else does something doesn't mean you have to do it. If you hear someone say a bad word, it's okay to hear it, to witness it, it doesn't mean you have to go out the re and do the same thing. But it starts with trust between you and your kid. You raised them to be good kids. If you trust