Skip to main content

Upset With My Bullied Son

I didn't want to write about this. But because I thought that, I felt I had to. 

I discovered my rope's end one day after picking up my son from the after school program at the YMCA. When I picked him up a little boy was being asked to say sorry to him. One of the staff members was kneeling down in front of both of them.

"Michael, say sorry. He already forgave you but you have to say sorry for what you did". 

I was upset when my son later explained to me that this kid had punched him. Then I got truly upset when he told me he had also gotten bullied at school that same day. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs but I didn't want him to feel like I was angry with him. I asked him questions about what happened but nothing satisfied me as to why this happened to him. All the adults did well and both kids got in trouble.

But I was still upset. I didn't want him to think I was angry with him, but I have a confession; I was angry with him. Deep down I was upset that he was being singled out what felt like an incident every other week. Why is he being singled out? Why was my kid being singled out? Everybody loves my kid. I understand why I was bullied as a kid but I didn't understand why my kid was being bullied. It hit me that this was a point of pride and I was being selfish. 

In Tae Kwon Do he's a white belt and has fun. Before joining, his teacher knew he had run ins with bullies. His pain threshold is high and he doesn't mind falling time and time again. When doing forms in the mirror, he is forceful, strong and focused. His teacher has genuinely told me that he's impressed by my son's strength. But when sparring he tones it down. Still focused but not on the form. Its like he's focused on not hurting the other person. This kills me as I realize how forgiving he is with his partners. Fought against with no will to fight back. 

After class on the day he had two run-ins, I pulled the teacher aside and let him know what happened. He saw in my eyes that I was at my rope's end and suggested a private class with him to get the fear out of him. If I don't, I'm afraid it will turn into excuses for anyone to treat him in a shitty way. Because forgiveness is one thing, a door mat is another. 

From someone who has spent a considerable amount of time in school lashing out against shitty kids and defending those that couldn't defend themselves, not being able to defend my own son is deeply deeply heartbreaking. Every fiber of my body wants this to not be about anger but I am SO angry. When I should be happy that my son doesn't have a knee jerk reaction to just punch some kid in the face... at the same time, I'm disappointed that he doesn't just clock some kid in the face for putting their hands on him. Now that I think of it, he's a lot like me; he defends other kids at school and risks getting hurt to help someone else but he won't defend himself even if he knows how to! I almost want to laugh because seriously, what is wrong with us!?

As I grew older with less people to defend I became void of feeling self-worth. I didn't really even understand why people wanted to hang out with me. When I had my son, the fighter instinct came back and he fueled the fire in my belly, making me thirst an unquenchable thirst for life through his own life. Something to forever defend. But the idea of him going through the same cycle of self-worth challenges destroys me.


Today is the private class with his Tae Kwon Do teacher and I don't know if I can muster the strength to stay in the room when I take him. I'm afraid my anger will come out and he'll feel disappointed in himself. I might go to the bar and drink while he has his lesson. But I guess the more responsible thing to do is ask him if he wants me to be there. Regardless, this mama bear has got to keep it together and will beat the fear out of that baby cub, right? Just kidding. But seriously, I hope to pump some self confidence into him. We'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Love Is Not Enough

“Do you promise to have and to hold, in good times and in bad?” There is not a single dry eye in the audience. Including my brother, the groom. We’re outside on what couldn’t have been a more perfect day on the cliff where a luxury hotel sits. The wedding is small and simple but nonetheless a beautiful one. Like the bride. It doesn’t take much to make her stunning and stunning she is. As she walks down the grassy aisle, my brother lays eyes on her and does something I’ve never seen him do. He’s crying. Not hard, but enough that I relish in the moment of probably the only time I’ll ever see my big bro’s ugly cry face. I’m crying too, like a baby. I saw her earlier in her hotel room to get the rings for my son, the ring bearer. I’m instantly turning my head. Laying eyes on her meant ruining my makeup too early. She gestures with her hand to stop like it’s seriously no big deal she’s radiant. Then gets right to business. “Okay did your brother tell you the concession order?” I sh

Of God, Gods and None

Driving home from Kindergarten last year, my kid said something that almost made me pull my car over. “Mama – did you know that God made all the things?” I was shocked and responded carefully, I recognized that I was reacting out of fear and needed to check my shit at the door. “Who told you that, honey?” Before I start I need to explain that, thankfully, I wasn’t traumatized by religion growing up. I grew up in a typical Roman Catholic house; we went to church every Sunday, celebrated Easter, midnight mass on Christmas Eve and prayed during Thanksgiving dinner and sometimes-regular dinner. It wasn’t so much about what I believed so much as it was rituals we acted out that my parents were really into. My mom grew up with Franco the dictator during Spain’s post civil war, a man very fond of Opus Dei. My father also grew up with very strong religious influences as a Latino. With that being said, surprisingly my parents gave us kids a lot of liberty to grow into our own. For exam

Learning to Trust Through Love

I came across a post from the BookFace group "Mothers Need to Vent". First of all I love this group because its a great way for moms to just let it all out without being judged. A mom had realized that her tendency to be a fearful mom was putting her in a place with a lot of doubt. When her kid asked her if they could sleep over at a friend's, her fear of their innocence being compromised took over and she would reject their request. She was afraid they would be up against peer pressure to do something wrong and the fear that she wouldn't be there for them. This was my response: I'll tell you what I tell my kid because lord knows I am not a saint; just because someone else does something doesn't mean you have to do it. If you hear someone say a bad word, it's okay to hear it, to witness it, it doesn't mean you have to go out the re and do the same thing. But it starts with trust between you and your kid. You raised them to be good kids. If you trust