Skip to main content

Have Estrogen Will Cry

Last night I was extremely hormonal (I’ll admit it). I had some crazy previous days and had been extremely happy and productive. At this point my highs were about to meet my lows. As soon as I pick up my kid from the YMCA, I’m not cheery and fun lovey mama. My son picked up on my crankiness and reaches over to start rubbing my back as I walk him to the car.

“Want me to rub your back?”

I look down and he’s got these adorable big eyes that wonder if his little hands are doing the trick. I let him know that I was feeling a little down.

“Thank you baby that’s very sweet”

It’s about as much endearment as I can muster.

In the car, we are chock full of gear (lights, weed whacker, shoes) that all need to be returned to different stores. I’m ready to clean out my car quickly because it’s been like this for the last 3 days.

“When we’re done can we buy me new shoes?”

“No, I wanna go home” – bad mama

“But my shoes are falling apart” – bad mama

Deep sigh “okay but its going to be late so we have to be quick”

“Okay mama”

Lord knows this child needs some new shoes! What is wrong with me? Anyways.

We finally get through all the returns, the car is empty and we’re in front of the shoe store. I need a time out. He notices.

He unbuckles his seatbelt and quietly comes and puts his arms around me so he’s hugging my neck and the seat. He gives me the SWEETEST kiss on the cheek, looks down at me and sighs.

“Sometimes I have a bad day too… and people make me cranky. Here close your eyes”

He does something he’s never done before. He starts playing with my hair and it is exactly what I needed. I choke back tears and feel pretty horrible. The last two hours I’ve given him nothing but a militant cold shoulder combined with emotionless conversation. But he just let me be me. My true little man, I guess its not like we just started living together. I apologized the next morning. 

I’m going to say this right now. All women are a little crazy. If you are a woman, you need to accept this and you have no business being in a relationship with a woman if you cant accept this. It’s different for everyone. For some, the smallest thing can be an annoyance, for others, they get whiny and need a hug and then there’s general sluggishness (I usually get whiny and need a hug). But what is the same is that it is something we cannot change. It’s who we are and what makes us beautiful. Though, of course there are variables that will affect the experience. 

When I was young I felt everything astutely and felt at times I had no control over my emotions, I didn’t know what I wanted, who I was, where I was going and I was positive my parents just didn’t get it. Especially my mom (hah!) Now, my life is MUCH more in order. I don't go around spilling my estrogen mood swings everywhere. Now the difference is that when I’m on my way home and start crying randomly, I know it’s not random. I remember telling my insanely expensive and successful acupuncturist. She's a she and in her 40s.

"I literally felt just this insane need to cry and started sobbing!"

"I hate it when that happens" and we high five.

I can look at a calendar and tell you when I’m going to be hormonal, and like clockwork, EVERY fucking time, it will be that way. I warn my boyfriend ahead of time, he laughs and excuses me for any excessively whiny and needy texts for the next 24 hours. It usually lasts that long.

It can be embarrassing though. Even if we know it’s coming or can explain our behavior two days or a week later, we may feel some regret because of a momentary case of emotional diarrhea of the mouth. I have accepted this for who I am. Because it sometimes helps me too. I might be more emotional but sometimes it’s the push I need to be more honest, even if other times I know I’m just over reacting.

The next day I’m comforting a very good friend over the phone.

“I feel like I was way too excited to see him. I’m afraid I might have scared him off.  Now I’m freaking out. Like I was super excited.”

“Was he having a good time?”

“Well yeah, the chemistry was great”

“How much do you feel like you know each other?”

Through the course of the conversation I find out they have been talking for quite a while and know quite a bit about each other.

“Girl. Hold up. Stop. If you scared him at this point in the game then he is not ready for you. You are a grown ass woman and you are who you are when you’re happy and you are who you are when you’re stressed. You’re not changing and if he can’t handle you when you’re excited then he can’t handle you. ANYONE in a relationship with a woman can’t go all freaking out because their woman has mood swings!”

“Oh my god you’re right.”


Estrogen. It speeds us up. Slows us down. Makes colors brighter and sex better. Own it because it ain’t goin’ nowhere!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Love Is Not Enough

“Do you promise to have and to hold, in good times and in bad?” There is not a single dry eye in the audience. Including my brother, the groom. We’re outside on what couldn’t have been a more perfect day on the cliff where a luxury hotel sits. The wedding is small and simple but nonetheless a beautiful one. Like the bride. It doesn’t take much to make her stunning and stunning she is. As she walks down the grassy aisle, my brother lays eyes on her and does something I’ve never seen him do. He’s crying. Not hard, but enough that I relish in the moment of probably the only time I’ll ever see my big bro’s ugly cry face. I’m crying too, like a baby. I saw her earlier in her hotel room to get the rings for my son, the ring bearer. I’m instantly turning my head. Laying eyes on her meant ruining my makeup too early. She gestures with her hand to stop like it’s seriously no big deal she’s radiant. Then gets right to business. “Okay did your brother tell you the concession order?” I sh

Of God, Gods and None

Driving home from Kindergarten last year, my kid said something that almost made me pull my car over. “Mama – did you know that God made all the things?” I was shocked and responded carefully, I recognized that I was reacting out of fear and needed to check my shit at the door. “Who told you that, honey?” Before I start I need to explain that, thankfully, I wasn’t traumatized by religion growing up. I grew up in a typical Roman Catholic house; we went to church every Sunday, celebrated Easter, midnight mass on Christmas Eve and prayed during Thanksgiving dinner and sometimes-regular dinner. It wasn’t so much about what I believed so much as it was rituals we acted out that my parents were really into. My mom grew up with Franco the dictator during Spain’s post civil war, a man very fond of Opus Dei. My father also grew up with very strong religious influences as a Latino. With that being said, surprisingly my parents gave us kids a lot of liberty to grow into our own. For exam

Learning to Trust Through Love

I came across a post from the BookFace group "Mothers Need to Vent". First of all I love this group because its a great way for moms to just let it all out without being judged. A mom had realized that her tendency to be a fearful mom was putting her in a place with a lot of doubt. When her kid asked her if they could sleep over at a friend's, her fear of their innocence being compromised took over and she would reject their request. She was afraid they would be up against peer pressure to do something wrong and the fear that she wouldn't be there for them. This was my response: I'll tell you what I tell my kid because lord knows I am not a saint; just because someone else does something doesn't mean you have to do it. If you hear someone say a bad word, it's okay to hear it, to witness it, it doesn't mean you have to go out the re and do the same thing. But it starts with trust between you and your kid. You raised them to be good kids. If you trust