Skip to main content

Video Games: A Time and Place

Its the weekend and my son is playing video games on his tablet. I ask him what he's playing and he explains with enthusiasm as well as he can that the airplanes need to land at home base without crashing and the routes get hard and harder.

"Cool. AirTraffic Control?" I respond.

"Yeah that one"

"Oh I like that one too... Honey? Can you turn it down? I can't hear myself think."

"Oh sorry, yeah"

We've had an ongoing agreement that digital media is off bounds during the week but on the weekend its our time to play and reap the rewards of our hard work executed during the week. A time where, if we have no commitments, I can binge on Netflix and he binges on games and YouTube. A time where our addictions are forgiven.

Since my son could barely walk he was interested in any digital interface presented to him. Mobile games fit perfectly in his little chubby hands with buttons that look like candy and he could spend hours silently watching videos … stressing the “silent”. But…this scared the shit out of me. It wasn't the behavior during it was the behavior after that freaked me out. When he didn't have the phone for more than an hour he became Angry Zombie, except instead of needing a hit of brain juice he needed a serious face full of digital candy. Then we'd end up in a literal tug of war over my phone. Not cute in public or private.

This behavior was familiar to me but in a literally bigger version. I love playing games. I don't have an addictive personality but I used to (and still can) play video games for HOURS. Recently a lot of League of Legends, previously a lot of WoW and before that Mario at any friend's house where I could get my hands on their Nintendo. 

As I’ve met other parents I’ve realized that there is a lot of fear surrounding video games and other digital media that is now instantly accessible because of the advances in technology. Understandable even if you come from a gaming background, the struggle on where to draw the line is real. The bottom line is this: Do not fear digital media including video games, youtube or movies. These things can be resources to your child's learning but you have to take control. They teach social behavior, strategic thinking, creativity and failure (my favorite). Fear a lack of real life balance. Don't forget school work, social manners, responsibilities around the home and especially general parent/child quality time.

The later you get started on setting clear boundaries the more diabolical they become. But don't worry, every child can be exorcised. Boundaries in the home are the foundation and will set you up for success everywhere else. Learning to go to a restaurant without needing the phone is a HUGE win and probably the most difficult but it teaches patience and manners. If its just my son and I then I'll usually bring a book and something to write in, he does the same. If he wants to play a game he has to play a game with me (tic tac toe is great). If he remotely pitches a fit while we're at the restaurant we leave. No exceptions. He learned early on as a toddler that it was funner to sit down with everyone than standing outside crying or going home. Above all else, get through the crying and sounds of dying that will come from their bodies. The worst thing you can do to jeopardize this learning process is false promises. DO NOT MAKE FALSE PROMISES. That will jack up you're entire operation. If you tell them they can play a game if they do something, let them play the game but be clear for how long. If you tell them they can't play a game, don't buckle and then figure you were wrong. You're wrong now because you lied and said they couldn't when really it meant they could. If you're not sure, then say you're not sure. If you have to think about it, tell them. Don't lie to them because then you're feeding the demon... and we don't want to feed the demon. The less you make false promises, the more your kids will trust your word.

I've treated my son the way I've wanted to be treated, including how I like my space and my interests. Maybe we're not perfect, but it's Sunday night and I surprise my son from behind with a hug and let him know he's got to get ready for bed when the big hand is on the 3. He smiles with my head cozied in his neck then quickly quickly at the clock "Okay mama". 


Free mobile/tablet games that I think are awesome:
"Cut the Rope"
"Where's My Water"
"PBS Kids" (this is an app with multiple features and games)
"AirTraffic Control"
"Minecraft" (just my kid plays this but he gets so proud when he builds us a house..but it usually burns down on accident..."



Additional Reads:
http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2013/11/video-games.aspx
http://www.creativeteachingsite.com/videogames.htm
http://www.parentingscience.com/beneficial-effects-of-video-games.html
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130821094924.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Love Is Not Enough

“Do you promise to have and to hold, in good times and in bad?” There is not a single dry eye in the audience. Including my brother, the groom. We’re outside on what couldn’t have been a more perfect day on the cliff where a luxury hotel sits. The wedding is small and simple but nonetheless a beautiful one. Like the bride. It doesn’t take much to make her stunning and stunning she is. As she walks down the grassy aisle, my brother lays eyes on her and does something I’ve never seen him do. He’s crying. Not hard, but enough that I relish in the moment of probably the only time I’ll ever see my big bro’s ugly cry face. I’m crying too, like a baby. I saw her earlier in her hotel room to get the rings for my son, the ring bearer. I’m instantly turning my head. Laying eyes on her meant ruining my makeup too early. She gestures with her hand to stop like it’s seriously no big deal she’s radiant. Then gets right to business. “Okay did your brother tell you the concession order?” I sh

Of God, Gods and None

Driving home from Kindergarten last year, my kid said something that almost made me pull my car over. “Mama – did you know that God made all the things?” I was shocked and responded carefully, I recognized that I was reacting out of fear and needed to check my shit at the door. “Who told you that, honey?” Before I start I need to explain that, thankfully, I wasn’t traumatized by religion growing up. I grew up in a typical Roman Catholic house; we went to church every Sunday, celebrated Easter, midnight mass on Christmas Eve and prayed during Thanksgiving dinner and sometimes-regular dinner. It wasn’t so much about what I believed so much as it was rituals we acted out that my parents were really into. My mom grew up with Franco the dictator during Spain’s post civil war, a man very fond of Opus Dei. My father also grew up with very strong religious influences as a Latino. With that being said, surprisingly my parents gave us kids a lot of liberty to grow into our own. For exam

Learning to Trust Through Love

I came across a post from the BookFace group "Mothers Need to Vent". First of all I love this group because its a great way for moms to just let it all out without being judged. A mom had realized that her tendency to be a fearful mom was putting her in a place with a lot of doubt. When her kid asked her if they could sleep over at a friend's, her fear of their innocence being compromised took over and she would reject their request. She was afraid they would be up against peer pressure to do something wrong and the fear that she wouldn't be there for them. This was my response: I'll tell you what I tell my kid because lord knows I am not a saint; just because someone else does something doesn't mean you have to do it. If you hear someone say a bad word, it's okay to hear it, to witness it, it doesn't mean you have to go out the re and do the same thing. But it starts with trust between you and your kid. You raised them to be good kids. If you trust